- I have to read the webcomic.
- I needed to have found it worth reading to have added add to my list of comics initially. It needs to remain worth reading to stay there.
- It has to be freely readable in a browser.
- Real HTML (or XHTML), not PDF etc
- Must be readable in most common browsers. Firefox, Chrome, Android, Apple, etc.
- Some comics are available through a special app. It must also be available through a desktop browser. Go Comics do this well, they have an app for the tablet but I can read it on my desktop browser too.
- It has to have a RSS or Atom feed and as I use Feed-on-feeds it needs to be pretty basic RSS /Atom.
- It needs to be published at least once every month or so. I tend to flush comics out my list of feeds if there haven't been any updates for 40 to 50 days.
- No pay-walls. If you can't see the comic I don't want you to have to take it on trust that it's worth seeing.
- It has to be humorous. I do read some drama ones but they tend to be serials so pointing out a single page often doesn't work.
- It must have published in the last two weeks. Although I will do occasional "specials" I want the regular blog postings to be fairly current .
- I have to like the individual piece. I can't see myself coming up with some system of promoting a comic just because it hasn't won for a while.
- As I read through webcomics I tag ones that I think are better than most.
- This is not only subjective, but depends on my feelings on the day.
- If I'm having a bad day I'm less likely to include a comic than on good days.
- Once I get to more than 10 entries or so, I start removing items I feel not as good as others. Ten isn't a maximum target, but it is pretty much the smallest number of postings I'm happy with.
- I really want to have the first entry in each posting to have an image and this means that I want it to be Creative Commons licenced (CC). Unless I feel that the best non-CC comic massively outperforms the best CC comic I will promote the best CC comic to 1st place. In the first example, I displayed the best CC before the best non-CC, but made the ranking clear in the text. I'm not promising I'll always do this.
- Very occasionally I'll publish more than one image at the top. Either both are needed to make the point clear or I really felt that there was a good reason why they both deserve it. It's first example was because two of the three CC webcomics were among my favourites collected in the period before I started this blog.
- After picking the first place, it's a matter of looking at the remaining selectees sorting them from strongest (Funniest, thought provoking, coffee and cake, artistic strength, etc).
- At some point it will be clear to me where the cut-off should be.
I've decided to publish at 23:55 NZT on Sundays. The posting will be preloaded and scheduled to publish at that time. This means that the selections are being made earlier.